Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
UCT Online Qualifications
UCT's Across Africa initiative and partnership with GetSmarter
1. What is the relationship between UCT and GetSmarter?
The University of Cape Town is striving to exponentially increase nationwide accessibility to their prestigious programmes. A UCT Commerce Faculty initiative, Across Africa, is the name given to a strategic partnership between the University and leading online education company GetSmarter. UCT and GetSmarter are working together to deliver top-tier tertiary education online.
2. What is the difference between UCT’s online short courses with GetSmarter and UCT’s online qualifications with GetSmarter?
GetSmarter and UCT’s online short courses are designed to assist working professionals in developing industry-relevant, highly practical, transferable skills for immediate application in the workplace. While these courses are widely respected and recognised across a variety of sectors and industries (83% of GetSmarter’s past learners report experiencing career advancement in some form after completing one of their online short courses), these courses are not credit bearing and are not NQF rated.
UCT’s Online Qualifications, presented online using the same cutting-edge learning technologies GetSmarter created for their portfolio of short courses, are the first credit-bearing tertiary-level diplomas to be offered online, across Africa.
3. How exactly does online learning work?
Visit our Online Learning page for a detailed breakdown of delivery modes for UCT’s Online Qualifications.
4. How will an Online Qualification from the University of Cape Town help me advance my career?
Career success in a fast-moving world is increasingly defined by an aptitude for lifelong learning. Previously, UCT’s top-tier tertiary education was only available to those able to carve out a year for on-campus, contact-based studies. Online learning makes career advancement accessible to anybody looking for flexibility in formalising their skills while retaining full-time employment. Graduates of the UCT Online Qualifications experience a range of personal and professional benefits:
- Access to industry-aligned course materials from the most respected university in Africa.
- The unique opportunity to formalise and broaden your skillset, while practically applying knowledge gained and advancing a career through full-time employment in your chosen industry.
- Access to the UCT community, Career Development Programme, Library, and other support services.
UCT’s Online Qualifications
5. Can I complete an online programme if I reside outside SA?
Yes. You will access your course materials online, and exam centres will be set up at various locations across South Africa.
6. What is the application process for UCT's Online Qualifications?
Applicants for the UCT Advanced Diploma in Business Project Management are required to submit:
- An up-to-date CV detailing relevant industry experience.
- Academic transcripts outlining prior tertiary education and qualifications.
- A letter of motivation
7. How do I apply?
View this resource for a step-by-step guide to applying for online postgraduate programmes.
8. Can I apply for a UCT-accredited Online Qualification if I don’t have an undergraduate qualification?
Yes. Applicants who are not in possession of an undergraduate degree or diploma may apply if they have 3 - 5 years of industry-relevant experience. Applicants may be eligible for admission through through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Please refer to the admission requirements outlined in the UCT Faculty of Commerce Handbooks, available here.
9. Can I apply for a bursary or financial aid?
Currently, neither UCT nor GetSmarter are able to offer bursaries or financial assistance.
10. How will exams work?
Exams will be held at examination centres across South Africa.
- The UCT Advanced Diploma in Business Project Management includes one examination session at the end of the 1-year programme.
- Travel and accommodation expenses are not included in the tuition fee, and learners are responsible for their own arrangements in this regard.
11. Are there other options available to help me advance my career?
Yes. GetSmarter also has an extensive portfolio of UCT-approved online short courses which offer working professionals, from a diverse range of educational backgrounds, the opportunity to advance their careers with industry-aligned knowledge and expertise.
12. Do I need to be working on a project for the Advanced Diploma in Business Project Management?
Yes, it is in your best interests to be working on a project, as you will be asked to apply what you learn to your current situation.
12. What is the NQF level of the Online Qualifications?
The NQF level for the online programmes is as follows:
UCT Advanced Diploma in Business Project Management - NQF level 7
For more information
- EMAIL: email@example.com
- TELEPHONE: 021 447 7565